Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Marsden Imbolc

Imbolc is a Celtic fire festival, celebrating the coming of Spring, celebrated in Marsden since the mid 1990's the festival attracts 100's of spectators who follow a torch-lit procession to the sight of the festival.
Strangely costumed figures lead the way to the sight where fire performers light the area for the fight between Jack Frost and the Green Man, huge figures which battle to a back drop of fireworks, before Jack Frost's ultimate defeat.

My photos from this night are a little blurry, I had to resort to my phone camera after my real camera refused to co-operate. I felt it was important to attend an event like this one when I am looking into folk traditions because theres no better way to capture a feeling for something than by going and seeing it for yourself.