Sunday, 23 March 2014

Playing with Digital Prints

A large portion of my final project has been based around digital prints, I was struggling to get some prints that reflected my trend in the way I was hoping… I remedied this by doing some quick visualisations, putting some of my designs onto fashion and street style images. None of these photographs are mine, I have just edited them to contain my work, where possible original sources have been linked.

I found that scale was key in manipulating designs and often when I took my small floral repeats into a large scale is where the best results were achieved.



Frustratingly I can't find the source for this image!
If anyone knows where its from please let me know.




Source


Macclesfield Silk Museum

This  weekend I took a trip to Macclesfield to visit the Silk Museum, local history plays a part in this project and as I working mainly with silk, what better place to visit?

The highlight for me was the small section on how the silks were originally dyed - naturally - the board stated something about madder which I had forgotten, alum pre-mordant makes it red….
this explains all the trouble I'd had this week getting purple silk instead of red! I'd been making an alkaline solution with madder and sodium bicarbonate but I had pre-treated  my silk with alum.
But I can now go back and further experiment with my digital prints.






Sunday, 16 March 2014

3D software

This year a number of final years were given the opportunity to learn a new software that allows to imagine our designs on a 3D model and/or garment.


These stills only show some of what can be done, the images can be animated, simulating the fabric's drape and movement on the model, or saved as 3D documents so that you can see the garment from all angles.
It has been interesting inputting early designs and sketchbook pages onto the garments.
I think it would be really interesting to use this with my final designs - the only problem being that finding the right pattern from the ready made one is hard! If only I were a pattern cutter.

In terms of the rest of my project, things have turned around. After tutorials I have more focus and better direction than in my last post - developing some digital prints and combining with natural dyes, which 'm sure you will see soon.

Quarry Bank Mill

On the suggestion on one of the tutors, this weekend I set out to visit a stately home - unfortunately most don't open until Easter, so I settled on Quarry Bank Mill which, at the moment has some recreation period costumes.

It wasn't necessarily what I was look for but it made for an interesting day out and more research can't hurt.

Luckily for us there was an unusual nice day in northern England so the gardens were lovely, with flowers just starting to bloom.




The most inspiring thing I found on my visit was this toile based on the history of the area and the mill. It would be interesting to create something like this combining my research on folk events and local landmarks.





Friday, 7 March 2014

First Samples

This week I got my first session on the digital printer, most of the samples I plan to work into with natural dyes, discharge and possibly printing over them.
Here they are drying in the print room (along side other student's work).
The prints were taken from sketchbook pages, manipulated in CAD, I'm looking forward to the next digital print session as my ideas have moved on already.


Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Museum of British Folklore

A website that has been of great interest to me during this project has been the Museum of British Folklore, last month I missed the opportunity to attend a talk by museum director, Simon Costin in London by one day! (more fool me for not joining the mailing list).

I find this idea so fascinating, and was shocked when I first learnt that there is no one dedicated museum for folklore, this website lead me to attend events like the Marsden Imbolc and search for more I can visit.

Below is their call to arms, a video that has driven me further in my interest for this area.